About Me

My photo
“ Basketball is my passion“ Coaching is where I feel at peace with all things. Coaching to me is not about winning and losing but rather about development and seeing the improvement throughout the years. I hope my years of experience will allow me to share some wisdom with other lovers of the game of Basketball. Twitter : @nextgenballer Instagram : @nextgenerationballer

Saturday, April 10, 2010

Want to be a Basketball Player

So you want to be a Basketball Player

Throughout my travels to various basketball gyms during the past ten years I have heard many coaches speak and watched many practices and games. During this time some phrases seem to be always repeated whether it is 8 year girls or 18 year boys.
They are:
- Box out
- Cut to the ball
- Follow through on your shot
- Dribble with your head up
- Screen to help your ball handler
- Stay low on defense

I am sure you can think of many more common phrases but many of the ones I have mentioned all seem to have one thing in common, they represent the mental aspect of the game more than the physical. I believe if you can make these part of your basketball habits then you can start to call yourself a player.

“Watch your thoughts, for they become words. Choose your words, for they become actions. Understand your actions, for they become habits. Study your habits, for they will become your character. Develop your character, for it becomes your destiny.”

No comments:

Post a Comment